Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Alaska Trip and loners

Well, I didn't get to post anything while we were in Alaska. I didn't know that my brother in law did not have a computer. Oh well, it was a great trip. We were able to go on a whale watching cruise, go fishing, see the Anchorage Zoo, the Native Heritage Center a water fall, I forgot the name of and go to Hatcher's Pass. It was a wonderfull trip, probably one of the best vacations I have ever had.

It is always interesting to go on a trip and stay with other people. It always makes me more thankful for what I have. I love visiting other places and seing the sights. I find it even more interesting to get to know some of the local people and expereince thier culture. For example, it seems to me that most, not all by any means, but a good portion of Alaskans like to live on the edge of society and culture. I'm not talking about Antisocial people or psychotic killers that get a cabin in the woods in order to make bombs, I'm just talking about people who need little contact with other people, who are comfortable with who they are and enjoy being individuals. People that the true pioneer spirit still lives in.

Some people would call them loners. I hesitate to use this term, because it is mostly used to describe people who have just opened fire on others and then shot themselves. A true loner, though, is not a killer, but a person who simply renews his or herself by being by themselves. They are usually someone who is very comfortable with who they are and have limited energy for social interaction. When I say limited energy, I do not mean no energy. Just probably less than what most people have.

I found myself really enjoying being around people like that. Perhaps I have found a place that harbors kindred spirits. Now do not get me wrong, I am not going to drop everything and move to Alaska right away. I love where I live. However, in recognizing these kindred spirits in Alaska, I was also able to recognize why I love where I live so much. I am a loner. This is not a negative, it is simply who I am. Being a loner I still like to be around people. I can still connect to people. In fact, I have connected more to people, since recognizing myself as a loner than I did before. Despite what the world says about us loners, we are wonderful people. In my small community I see that there are other loners and they understand. We do not have to talk about it, but there is an implicit understanding of being loners and joining together, for lack of a better term. In enjoy the company of others, but loners make the deep connections that I prefer. Loners understand that time alone is not time wasted. You can have fun and be alone.

This community seems to allow time alone and also provide some social interaction. I always enjoy our card games, they are once a month. However, once a month is enough. I also enjoy paintball, which does require interaction with others, but also some individual time of hiding in the woods waiting and watching and listening.

Anyway, the bottom line is, I am extremely glad to be home. I missed my house, my bed and my community. It is nice to live in a place that I can feel like it is home. Thank God for vacations, because they make me thank God for home.

2 comments:

latoberg said...

Speaking as one "loner" to another, I heartily agree. It's probably one of the reasons we get along so well.

But I have to disagree on one point. Paintball is a very interactive activity. If you don't act, others will act upon you. With vengeance.

Nick has a sudden sparked interest in paintball. He asked me the other day when he could get a paintball gun. I thumped him kind of hard on the chest and he looked at me like I had betrayed him. I asked him if it hurt and he said, "Yes." I said, "Then you aren't ready for a paintball gun."

BTW - did I borrow Icewind Dale from you?

Rev. Counselor said...

Yes, you did borrow Icewind Dale from me.

Bring Nick out sometime and I will take him paintballing. Blake loves it and I love it. They do hurt, though, especially if you get hit right on the nipple.

You are correct that others will act on you if you don't act, but there is still some time to sit there listening intently to see if someone is coming and then when you hear them coming through the woods, waiting and waiting and then bam, bam, bam. and hearing the satisfying "I'm out" Ahh what a great feeling.

Also, really to play well at paintball the team has to work together.

Dane