Monday, June 2, 2008

Moving Day

I alway become somewhat reflective during this week of the year. For us as United Methodist pastors it is moving week. By Thursday at noon for all the churches changing pastors, the former pastor is to be out of the parsonage and the new pastor moving in. I am not moving this year, but I have several freinds that are. Moving Day as I remember it is hectic, exciting, nerve wracking, patience trying, happy, sad, angry and about every other emotion that can be described. Moving day is a time of endings and new beginnings a time of mourning and a time of excitement. It is an awe-filled, awefull day of mixed emotions and rushing. It is a wonderful day as well.

I know there are some pastors who are looking forward to moving day. Perhaps he or she realized that they had taken their soon to be former church as far as he or she could. He or she knew it was time to move and thier District Superintendent had been attentive and listened to what they wanted and the move is to a place they wanted to be. For those of you whose move occurred under great cicumstances, my prayers is that the move will be everything you hope and dream. I pray that your church or churches are even more wonderful than you thought they would be. I pray that this new beginning will be a growing oppurtunity for your church or churches and for you. I pray that the Lord will richly bless your ministry and show you how to enable your church or churches to make disciples for Jesus Christ. God bless you.

I also know there are others moving in a less than idealistic manner. Perhaps you really did not want to move. You have freinds or family that you do not want to move away from. Perhaps, your appointment was not quite in the geographical location you were hoping for. Perhaps you feel like your District Superintendent did not listen to you or God in making this appointment. Perhaps you feel as if the system has messed you around once again and are getting rather tired of it. Perhaps you are burned out, but do not know what to do. For these pastors I say a special prayer. I have been there before. It is not fun. However, we must never forget that God works in our system sometimes despite the circumstances, but God is always working.

I would encourage those of you in the latter category to first and foremost remember, it was not your church that messed you around. The system may or may not of messed you around, but the church you are moving to, certainly did not. It is not their fault you asked to be in the OKC or Tulsa area and are actually six hours away from civilization. They do not need to have your anger taken out on them. The new congregation needs you to love them unconditionally. They need to feel the love of Christ from thier pastor, not be beaten up again as some congregations have been. I do say special prayers for you. I pray that you will find the healing you need. I pray that you will rediscover the love of God and I pray that God will lead you to be the strong leader that this new church deserves.

My prayer for all of you moving is that this will be a new beginning for both you and the church or churches you will be pastoring. My prayer is for travel mercies and for guidance from God. My prayer is that the love of Christ will be shown to you and you will show the love of Christ as well. I pray your new community will become home very quickly and that you will be the pasoral leader that your new church has prayed for. All of you moving, please remember, that I am praying for you and your Church or churches. God bless you and keep you. Amen.

No comments: